When Can Minnesota Child Custody and Parenting Time Orders Be Modified?

Many couples believe that once their divorce is finalized, they are finished with family court proceedings. This is true in some situations, but when children are involved and your life circumstances undergo significant changes, you may need to modify your divorce decree.

Many major events can happen after a divorce. When these kinds of life changes happen, you may need to modify your divorce judgment. A modification does not require the entire divorce order to be changed. Portions of divorce judgments can be modified after they have been issued, including altering child custody or parenting time provisions. There are several reasons one might request a modification. Examples include:

  • Both parents agree to the modification
  • Child abuse or neglect
  • Substance abuse by one of the parents
  • Integration into the family has occurred with the consent of the other party
  • One of the parents needs to relocate to another state or a significant distance within the same state

If you want an efficient, effective and successful outcome, you should seek the help of a family law attorney. Many divorce modifications, especially those involving matters regarding child custody and parenting time, are highly contested. Protecting your time with your children is your top priority, so having a knowledgeable and skilled attorney safeguarding your interests is invaluable.

If you need to modify your divorce decree, contact the attorneys at Appelhof, Pfeifer & Hart, P.A. We have two convenient office locations in Oakdale and Braham, Minnesota, to better serve Washington, Dakota and the surrounding counties.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *